Saturday, January 8, 2011

Did I miss something?

This past week I have been back and forth to the hospital with Ace. He has been having stomach pains accompanied by a low grade fever for weeks now. At first I just thought he was having some cramping or something and then when he started with a fever he also had a sinus thing going on so I simply attributed it to that. I did take him to the doctor's a couple of times for other things-the sinus cold and then for a vomiting bug-and each time mentioned the belly pains but didn't make a big deal of it. This week however, they got worse and his fever was consistent instead of coming and going. He also had no appetite at all. We ended up in the ER all night while doctors did an ultra sound, blood work, urine analysis, and cat scan on him. They ended up finding what they thought might be the problem-but when we saw the urologist on Thursday, he said that it absolutely was not the issue and that he does not need surgery (the ER dr had said it was likely he would). So now we are back to square one...waiting for stool sample results, and hoping he wakes up in the morning and is miraculously healed.
Ace snoozing in the hospital. This was around 2am...it was a long night

I can't help but feel some guilt over how long it took me to take his pains seriously. If it had been Ava having these, I know I would have been pushing for answers a long time ago. Just as I know when the ER doctor asked when his last bowel movement was, the patterns of it, how his appetite has been, etc. I would have spouted them off instead of really having to think about it. So much of my focus is on Ava, taking note of every little change in her eating, sleeping, breathing, etc. that I feel like I neglected poor Ace. I am sure that I am not the only mother of a special needs child to ever feel this way, but that still doesn't make me feel any better. My new years resolution....to make sure that while I continue keeping a close eye on Ava, I pay the same amount of attention to Ace and Landon as well. While Ava does need special care because of her health needs, that doesn't mean that my boys deserve less than my full attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment