Sunday, November 7, 2010

Anything but a Feeding Tube.....

The resident working under Ava's GI doctor called me to tell me that she was able to get the new formula, Peptimen Jr., approved with the insurance company. This was such a relief, as a case of it is $200 and Ava should go through two to three cases a month. While I was very happy that she had finally been able to get it approved, she said that in order to do so she had to explain to them that this is our last attempt before having to do a feeding tube. She explained to them that Ava is not gaining weight and in order to ensure that she is getting what she needs, if she does not start gaining weight in the next few weeks, a feeding tube of some sort is the route we are going to have to take. Even though I knew this to be true, and had already heard it once from her GI, hearing it again just made my stomach sick. I know that for some children who have been failing to thrive, a feeding tube does wonders for them, but I still hate to think of my baby girl having to have one. She has been through so much in her life already and would hate to see her with one. I am going to try to do everything I can to help her gain weight so that we can avoid a feeding tube. I am holding out hope that this formula will really help her. It should be in stock at our pharmacy tomorrow and I will start her on it tomorrow night. Crossing our fingers that she loves it and it helps her pack on some pounds...or at least some ounces!!

No comments:

Post a Comment